Sam Lacy, sports writer for the Afro-American newspaper, speaking with Morgan State College relay team. Paul Henderson, 1949. Maryland Historical Society.
Sports writer for the Afro-American newspaper, Sam Lacy, covered sports and used the opportunity to write about racial injustice in the profession. He was known for confronting and shaming those who ignored black athletic talent.
Sam Lacy is seen here speaking with members of the Morgan State College relay team known as the “Historic Four.” Bill Brown (second from left), Robert “Bob” Tyler (third from left), Sam LaBeach (second from right), George Rhoden (far right).
Sam Lacy with Morgan State College relay team
4 in. x 5 in. acetate negative
Paul Henderson Photograph Collection, HEN.01.14-041
Maryland Historical Society
Morgan State College basketball team, HEN.03.02-064
Class inside gym, Morgan State College. Paul Henderson. MdHS. HEN.06.04-015.
In 1867, the Methodist Episcopal Church opened the Centenary Biblical Institute to train young men in ministry. In 1890, after broadening its mission to educate black men and women as teachers, the school was renamed Morgan College after the first chairman of its Board of Trustees and land donor, Reverend Lyttleton Morgan.
After a few decades, President John Oakley Spencer realized the college was outgrowing its space at Fulton and Edmondson Avenues and activated plans to move and expand. After learning of Andrew Carnegie’s speech in support of black education, the college contacted the philanthropist for financial assistance.
Carnegie agreed to provide $50,000 to the college for a new site only if the board met certain terms, including raising matching funds. The board pledged $25,000 and the public contributed the difference, with much-needed pleas for assistance from the Afro-American newspaper for this “praiseworthy object.”
After being prohibited from relocating to Mount Washington, a white Baltimore suburb, a parcel of land in northeast Baltimore became the best option. Fifty community members filed lawsuits against the move, including poet Edgar Allan Poe’s grandnephew and namesake. All attempts failed and Harry O. Wilson, Baltimore’s leading black banker, purchased the land for the college that became known as Wilson Park.
The college met all of Carnegie’s conditions and in 1917 moved to its present location. In 1939, the state of Maryland purchased the school after a study determined that Maryland needed to provide more opportunities for its black residents. [Image: Morgan State College basketball team, 1951, Maryland Historical Society, HEN.03.02-064; Class inside gym, Morgan State College, 1955, Maryland Historical Society, HEN.06.04-015.]
The photographs below are only a small fraction of the additional photographs of Morgan State College by Paul Henderson:
Women watching television, Maryland State Teachers College, HEN.00.B2-232
Beginning in 1865, Bowie State University is one of the oldest historically black universities in Maryland. The Baltimore Association for the Moral and Educational Improvement of Colored People established the Baltimore Normal School to train black teachers in Baltimore. After moving to Prince George’s County, Maryland in 1914, the school also received a new name: Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie. By 1935 it was known as the Maryland State Teachers College at Bowie. Over time, it expanded from a three year program and introduced programs to train teachers for junior high schools, secondary education, and liberal arts.
Source: Bowie State University
Image information: Women watching television, Maryland State Teachers College at Bowie [Bowie State University] Bowie, Maryland
Paul Samuel Henderson, 1899-1988
Digital reproduction from 4 in. x 5 in. acetate negative
Paul Henderson Photograph Collection, HEN.00.B2-232
Maryland Historical Society