Women watching television, Maryland State Teachers College, HEN.00.B2-232
Beginning in 1865, Bowie State University is one of the oldest historically black universities in Maryland. The Baltimore Association for the Moral and Educational Improvement of Colored People established the Baltimore Normal School to train black teachers in Baltimore. After moving to Prince George’s County, Maryland in 1914, the school also received a new name: Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie. By 1935 it was known as the Maryland State Teachers College at Bowie. Over time, it expanded from a three year program and introduced programs to train teachers for junior high schools, secondary education, and liberal arts.
Source: Bowie State University
Image information: Women watching television, Maryland State Teachers College at Bowie [Bowie State University] Bowie, Maryland
Paul Samuel Henderson, 1899-1988
Digital reproduction from 4 in. x 5 in. acetate negative
Paul Henderson Photograph Collection, HEN.00.B2-232
Maryland Historical Society